Sunday, June 24, 2012

6 Weeks 'Til I Be Wed


Six more weeks, and I will be married! I can’t believe it’s coming so fast…but at the same time, it seems I’ve been engaged forever and I just want it to end. :) But planning for a wedding is fuuuun stuff, no matter how stressful, and I know a few of you just LOVE to hear all the details. So I will try to share some of them.

At the end of February, with the help of my Mom and a sister and a sister-to-be, I found my dress. And no details will be shared about that!

In mid March (?) we determined we would have the bridesmaid dresses made, because I couldn’t find anything that fit the style or the color I wanted. A professional seamstress friend is making most of them with the help of my mother-in-law-to-be, and my mom is making the others. They are just about done and looking lovely.

In May we had a few jar painting parties! I got the idea off of pinterest (jolly ol’ pinterest) to make these babies, and I am really excited about them. We’re painting glass jars of all sizes with colored glass paint on the inside and gold metallic paint on the outside to look like Moroccan lanterns. They will be table centerpieces as well as décor throughout the ceremony and reception.

Most of the party, taking my guidelines into consideration and then bursting forth with creativity. ;)

Cute girls

My crafty aunts and Mrs. N hard at work.

Half-finished products.

On May 26, I was given my first shower! My dear life-long friends, Jessica and Mariela, threw it for me at a home that has hosted many showers and wedding receptions over the years. It was a sunshiny day, and the Lord made it beautiful. I was shocked by the amount of women and girls who came to bless me, and felt like I couldn't hug or thank them enough. We played the infamous "Bubble Gum Game" - a favorite with us up here in Kitsap County - at which I did exceptionally badly. Good thing they weren't qualifying questions to determine our "compatibility"...

I got many generous gifts that will help me start life in my own home, and I received encouragement from many women, married and single. My friend Sarah, who has known me my whole life, shared a word of encouragement from her life and from the word of God. She happened to use excerpts from the devotion that MY mom shared at HER wedding shower. :) The whole day is one I'll remember forever.

My friends know me. 


Dear Jess looking all gorgeous in the sunshine.

Trying to keep the wad of bubble gum in my mouth.

Cute Mars and her heels.

"Always keep your conversations seasoned with salt." 

Sarah and I. Love her!

Presents!

The moms, a niece, and five of my seven sisters.


Now Bub and I are searching for our first home, we're talking about budgets, and we're learning tons about marriage, and how to glorify God in it, while doing premarital counseling with our dear friends. Besides marriage in general, we are learning lots about each other and how life together will work out. The most difficult part has been learning more about ME. I am rotten! 

Mom and I are hot-to-trot with ceremony decor and doing superbly. I'm also hot-to-trot on making sure the groomsmen get fitted on time. 

Soon mom and I will meet with her dear friend to figure out flowers. Virginia is so talented and knowledgeable and has done quite a few weddings, including that of her own daughter. I love having friends do things.

There is still so much to do. But I am blessed with a devoted family and fiancé who help me stay calm and who never fail to say to me, “don’t stress out.” :)
So here I go. Preparing to leave my father and mother and cleave to my husband. (Genesis 2:24, the Bible) WOOHOO for becoming a wife and living with my very own man in 6 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment